I'm a petri dish filled with flu.

So in November when I was 8 months preggo, I was super lucky and won the flu lottery. I was so sick it took me out of work for a week, which is neat because I could've used those PTO days for maternity leave, but nah, I wanted to use them to stay at home and feel like death. That's the magic maternity leave system we have here, you get to use up all your PTO and then short term disability pays you about $1.25 a day, but only for 6 weeks, so if you take 12 weeks off, well then you get to volunteer your 6 weeks of time, yup unpaid leave! Anyways, I digress...

I was so huge from pregnancy, that my baseline body temp was somewhere between burning and extra burning. Add a fever to the mix and it was pure fiery hell. The coughing was the worst. Your belly is stretched to the max so using your abs to cough uncontrollably makes me wonder how I didn't just split myself open like a c-section. I thought having the flu while pregnant was the worst thing, but then my midwife told me she had shingles during her pregnancy. Alright, you win that one shingle queen.

So now I won the flu lottery again, a mere 7 months later, it's pretty excellent, but now I have a 5 month old to add to my snotty tissue mix. Being sick while you have a baby to tend to is actually worse than flu-ing while pregnant. I still think shingles wins them both however. So the fun fact of a breastfeeding mama with the flu is that I can't really take anything, not because it's bad for baby but because everything has a risk of drying up my damn milk. Yup, those glorious medicines that dry up your snot machine also dry up the milk barn. I can take Tylenol, that's it. It's a party up in here, be jelly. Thus, I will be a coughing, snot-nosed mess for who knows how long. Also, the other part that makes this worse is that I have a tiny human to care for and hopefully not get her sick. The good thing is that breast milk has good tasty antibodies, hopefully protecting her from this flu garbage.

That's all for today. My brain is mush, or similar to those fried eggs on the commercial about your brain being on drugs. That's my brain, except I only wish for drugs.

Wash your hands you dirty people and quit spreading your flu to me.
she's too gangsta to get sick



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS