How to job interview when you're constantly pumping those boobies.

Since I've become a new mama, I have started looking into a job change. One thing I realized is that when you're a pumping mama, you're constantly thinking about the next time to pump, where you're going to pump, where you're going to store the milk and if you're going to pump enough for the next feeding. This is why I can't function in life. This must be what it's like to be a man, constantly thinking about breasts (sorry, I couldn't resist)
shocked. or thinking about breasts.

I've had a few interviews where I have had to pump. The biggest interview was in Denver, CO. I was told the interview was going to be a full 8 hour day. Holy crap, my boobies, was all I could think. I had no idea the age of the woman that was coordinating my interview day, but I had to open the lines of communication right away and explain that I was a pumping mama and would need some breaks built into the interview schedule, and also a place to pump and store the milk. I was pretty nervous thinking that they would roll their eyes and immediately cancel my interview since I was too much of a burden. To my surprise, they were more than accommodating. They sent me the schedule to approve my pump breaks and said there would be an office to pump in, store my pump parts and a refrigerator to store the milk, they even said my husband could bring the baby to me during the breaks if that was easier. During the interview, the admin was adamant about bringing me back to the office on time so I could pump. The breaks were 30-60 minutes in length, which was adequate time to pump. The office was spacious with views of the mountains. They surpassed my expectations on accommodating my pumping needs during a full day of interviewing.

Another big interview was at a hospital in Chicago. The hospital is only a few miles from my house, and the interview was only scheduled to last 2 hours, but I don't like going more than 2 hours between pump sessions, so I knew I would need to pump shortly before the interview and after, but where? I could've pumped in my car, except the garage nearest the hospital was valet only, so I couldn't sit in the car and pump and didn't feel like pumping and driving for fear of being anxious in morning traffic and having zero let down. I posted the question of how/where to pump in this situation on a Facebook breast feeding group (they're amazing, join your local group), and they told me the hospital I was interviewing at had a few pumping rooms. BOOM. Problem solved. I packed my smaller pump and cooler bag and got to the interview about 40 minutes early so I could pump and relax. The room was large with a comfy chair and sink. It was perfect. I also packed a few extra cooler packs to ensure that my milk would stay relatively cold during the interview and my shopping spree after... (husband, this is simply untrue. I went to the library to do research).
pumping away in the hospital pump room

The last interview I had was less time and more relaxed for me, but also in a non-hospital facility, so I pumped before and after in my car and again had a few extra cooler packs to keep my milk cold. Lots of people talk about the struggle with pumping in the car, mostly due to the type of pump. I have a Medela Freestyle breast pump. It runs on batteries, so if it's charged you don't have to worry about outlets or getting a car adapter outlet. It's also very small, slightly bigger than a soda can I'd say. So throwing that into a bag is not a huge deal. Because of my insurance, I was able to get the Medela freestyle covered and then ended up switching insurances once baby was born so I decided to get a Medela pump in style advanced to keep in my office and not lug back and forth. The freestyle isn't as efficient for me, however it's fantastic for traveling or using in the car.

PUMP ON WORKING MAMAS. PUMP ON.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS