milk jugs

Breastfeeding is probably one of the biggest questions, concerns, problems, interests,  you name it, that a post-partum mom has. For some people it's a no brainer to breastfeed once their baby is born, for some they know they will start formula right away and others are unsure.

For me breastfeeding was one of those things that was a no brainer. I wasn't going through life with these huge boobs for nothing! Once Avi was born, I'm talking less than an hour after, she already had the perfect latch. I still don't really understand how babies come out and know how to latch on, or know the smell of boobies. So weird. We were pretty lucky that she had a good latch, we didn't struggle with tongue tie or a low weight lethargic baby, however that doesn't mean this shit was easy.

I knew that there were always challenges to breastfeeding, however I was surprised with exactly how challenging and time consuming it would be, and for any exhausted new mom, this can really be a breaking point. The nights of the first week home were more than hard. I was so emotional and Avi was nursing CONSTANTLY. I couldn't catch a break. I look back now and remember in desperation all the friends I emailed or facebook messaged, hoping they would shed some positive light. I wanted to quit and start formula. It would have been easier, and I could have gotten more sleep. I was desperate for a few hours of sleep. For whatever reason, I pushed through those first few tiring weeks with a baby permanently attached to my boob. Two months later and still nursing, I am so glad I stuck with it. It sucked bad at first and it's still time consuming and my boobs leak all over the place, but it's worth it. There's a pride aspect that happens. It's only two months, but I'm proud I've come this far. I grew a human inside me and now I'm growing her just with boob juice. That's like unicorn magic.


Some things I know now about breastfeeding:
1. this.shit.is.hard.- Think of it like learning to dance. You and your partner both need to learn the moves and then need to learn how to move together. It takes time and patience, and sleepless nights and bloodied chapped nipples, but eventually land on "so you think you can dance" with your partner.

2. Your boobs will be ginormous and you'll think that your milk has come in... wait 4 weeks, you're milk just barely came in. Yes, those are your milk boobs. Huge balloons filled with glorious milk that your newborn will be able to sniff out of a crowd. For this reason, don't even think about buying a nursing bra before 4 weeks, you'll just be blowing your money. Live in nursing tanks or a nursing sleep bra until 4 weeks post-partum, then go get those bad boys fit for a real nursing bra. My boobers, which were no teeny weenies to begin with are now a size that I didn't know existed.... like 36 H or J, or who the hell knows.... towards the end of the alphabet though.

3. Get a hands free bra for pumping, otherwise you'll be sitting there holding those massive milk bags for 30 minutes while pumping. Ain't nobody got time for that. Hands free is the way to go. Pulls your nips through slots like little sausages while the pump sings the sweet tune of dairy farming. Pumping is the devil.

4. Don't worry about building a freezer stash until about a month before you go back to work. If you're going back to work and will be pumping, the baby will get all the pumped milk the next day, so you don't necessarily need a ginormous stash. I have one for emergencies and to possibly use when Avi starts solids (to blend with oatmeal, ect.), but there are people who accumulate thousands of ounces in milk. Ummmm, yeah, you're gonna need a special deep freezer for your milk supply then. It's like starting a Dairy Queen outta your home.

5. Leaky boobs, holy moly. Some people will not experience this, and you should be thankful. I take a milk bath every morning in this sticky baby gold. I wear pads in my bra. Yes you read that correctly. PADS IN MY BRA. Shit. Maybe someday it will regulate, or maybe I'll be in board meetings with wet rings on my shirt. Either would be awesome.

6. nipple confusion? People in the hospital will tell you not to do certain things. I was told to not give a pacifier and to hold off until 2-3 months to give a bottle. If you're a supermom, go for it... I my friend am weak and thus I jam pacifiers in Avi's mouth all the time, and it gives me peace and quiet and thus I am not a maniac. Do whatever works for you. I started that at like day 4 and she doesn't confuse a pacifier with my boob. Same with bottles. I didn't want to wait. I wanted sleep and I wanted it sooner rather than later, so I had the hubs give a bottle at like week 1 or 2. We have slowly started introducing the bottle, so maybe once a week she'll get one from someone. I feel that since I've introduced everything she hasn't had a hard time transitioning between the three, but then again, she's a heffer and LOVES her mama's boob so I can't imagine her not wanting that, and then again when it comes to the bottle she's like "hey this stuff is awesome even from this plastic nip!" and gulps it down. Maybe I'm just lucky, but this is what I needed and what worked for me.

7. The bond you develop with your baby while nursing can be pretty magical, but I don't doubt you can still have this while formula/bottle feeding. I love the quiet time in the mornings when I'm nursing Avi in our rocker in her nursery. She's calm and happiest in the morning and that damn rocker sings me lullaby's from heaven. GET A ROCKER. You'll be the happiest mom on the block with your comfy rocker, it's worth the money.

8. See a lactation consultant! Definitely see the LC in the hospital to establish the latch, ect. But let me tell you, you will be exhausted, overwhelmed and your nipples will hate you. Slather on the nipple cream, but plan on seeing a LC once you leave the hospital and are slightly more coherent. I said slightly. Since Obamacare, LC's are covered by insurance so that's a huge bonus. Have the LC come to your house if possible, usually they will weigh baby before and after a feed so you can see how much milk is getting transferred. They will also show you other holds and most importantly support you in this journey. I would beware of LC's that start off with all the things that you should not do, ie: pacifier and bottles... some are so hardcore breastfeeding they can't see any other way, and sometimes breast is not best for some people. My LC told me the most important thing was to feed my kid and get sleep, so however we could achieve that was important. At the moment when I was going to quit and start formula, this was the attitude I needed. I needed no judgement and for someone to tell me I was being a good mom no matter what my decision.

If you want to breastfeed, just know that it will take a little bit to get over the hump at first. You'll be glad and proud you did. But also know that at the end of the day your kid needs to be fed. You need to do what's best for you and your family. Don't let anyone tell you differently.




1 comment:

  1. Oh yes to all of the above. Also, I read this while pumping. Bonus points.

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS